Beat That Holiday Stress!
The Holiday Season is among us. While it should be a joyous occasion and may be for some, this time of year can bring upon anxiety and stress for many. Often this is accompanied by unwanted weight gain and/or fatigue and a general feeling of mental and physical imbalance. In my opinion, it is not a great way to end the year and start a new one.
It is my aim to help you find a balance of peace, love and gratitude over the holidays. A BONUS may accompany this…WEIGHT LOSS! (or at least no weight gain). I have done it every year and I can help you do the same.
Follow these tips and you will be well on your way to a Healthy and Happy Holiday Season.
1. Remove all white refined sugars from your daily diet and only indulge when you have a function. Yes you heard me, when you are in the company of others if that is what you choose… guilt free.
2. Do Not Skip Meals. I know it can be easy to skip meals the busier you get, but trust me, this will do you no favours when it comes to weight loss. Balanced meals will help regulate your blood sugar levels which will ward off cravings, overeating and moodiness.
3. Keep a Food Journal. A food journal can help make you more aware of what, when and how much you are eating. Try it yourself and see what happens.
4. Keep a Gratitude Journal. This puts you in a positive mindset and focused on all the good things in your life.
5. Stay Active. If you are someone who loves to exercise (yes, there are those who love to exercise..lol) stay with it! Try to stay committed to your routines. If you are someone who thinks that they should start exercising, don’t wait until January. Start the routine NOW. How about a 20 minute walk each day?
6. Daily Meditation. I have devoted a lot of my time to creating meditation recordings for my patients. Meditation can be seen as a “time out” to help you relax and refocus.
7. Forgive everyone for everything- including yourself. The holidays is a time where families come together. It can bring up feelings of anger or resentment from past hurts, etc. It can also be a good opportunity to put the past in the past and move forward with more love and peace. Forgiveness is the gift you give yourself and others.
8. Donate your time and energy to making a difference in people’s lives. Do not be so fixated on the material aspect of Christmas. It is a time to share in love, peace and joy. Volunteer your time at a food sheltor, give to the less fortunate or host a Food and Toy drive.
9. Follow me on Instagram: dr_jen_cisternino where I share inspirational and positive quotes each day. These are gentle reminders that nudge you in the direction of peace and love.
10. Gift YOURSELF with a healing session with myself. Seek my counsel to help you get healthy in mind, body and spirit. As a Naturopathic Physician, most of my services are covered by extended health care plans. Many will expire in one month, so reach out and find out what can be covered.
Much love and light,
Dr. Jen Cisternino