Can you imagine being fed “junk” all day and not even knowing it?! I heard a lecture given by Joel Osteen that was titled “Don’t let that shit get into your mind”. It peaked my interest and after hearing it, I agree wholeheartedly with his message. I was already subconsciously “detoxing” my mind and spirit and feeling great! I wish the same for you. What does this look like you ask? I will share with you later in the blog. But first, what is the “junk” we are feeding our minds? When you hear the word “feeding”, you automatically think about FOOD. I wont be talking about food in this blog, as I think there are enough articles about healthy eating. I will be addressing the stuff that feeds the brain, specifically, the subconscious. I am referring to “the noise” we hear and “the sights” we see and read about each day. These things are being programmed into our subconscious minds and most people are not even aware of the effect it has on our mood, thoughts and behaviour. The subconscious mind is a part of the brain that houses our beliefs, thoughts and how they both play out in our daily lives. You can consider it the seat of the soul, our direction and driving force behind most decisions we make in our life. Why wouldn’t you want to protect this part of your brain? Let me describe a few things that I believe are “polluting” the minds of human beings. My goal here is to make you aware, shed light on the issue and help you to become an awakened being who has control over the trash you take in. After each concern I have included affirmations, which are positive statements to help you.
- Video Games: I am referring to the video games that promote violence such as fighting, killing and shooting. Several studies have demonstrated the link between violent video games and increased aggression. These games initiate feelings of anger, anxiety and at some level enjoyment and pleasure. Subconsciously children and adults who play these games are becoming more aggressive and some even go on to commit crimes and acts of violence. This exemplifies the power of the subconscious mind. Affirmation: I will not let video games pollute my mind or my child’s mind.
- Social Media: I am referring to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snap Chat etc. Specifically, I am referring to the content that may be less uplifting such as people venting about their life, trash talking other people, exploiting their bodies, bullying and judgements that are formed because people’s lives are “open books”. I am not saying that all social media is bad, however for a subset of people, it has been shown to increase rates of depression, isolation, anxiety and even suicide. Why? Social media has become a platform for people to post all sorts of things. It has also become a platform where people compare their lives to people’s highlight reel. This is the EGO’s favourite place to be! You and I both know that most people will post only the “good times”. Most commonly wedding pictures, engagements, babies, relationships, vacations, family gatherings etc. Although those are happy and joyous moments, if you are someone who is seeing this, you may believe that you have to achieve all these things in order to be happy. Spend less time on social media or choose to connect with people that are inspirational and authentic. Affirmation: I will not let social media pollute my mind.
- TV Shows: It is said that the television programs that are created and watched cater to common day people. The shows that people watch pertain to families that are arguing and full of drama, the married couple that is having issues or the working businessman who cheats on his wife, etc. If you immerse yourself in TV show drama, guess what…TV will create your character. You will draw more drama into your life. Be aware that television glamorizes a lot of the wrong things, especially in marriage. It is said that 91% of intimacy on TV is shown outside the marriage, in affairs. This can work on your subconscious mind, lowering your standards and eventually temptation may be harder to resist. Affirmation: I will not let TV shows pollute my mind.
- Radio: I have been so much more aware of the messages the songs on the radio carry. I always wondered why I woke up in a great mood and then once I got to work, after listening to the radio, I felt different, like something shifted. I started to listen to the song lyrics and realized they are not positive at all! You have to understand that singers/song writers write as a way to express their emotions, their pain, breakups, affairs, power struggles, etc. If you truly are aware of the songs’ meanings, you will stay clear of the negative messages they are feeding your subconscious mind. Listening to Adele or Sam Smith can definitely make you feel sad. Listening to Drake will make you feel like relationships are a waste of time because “you used to call me on my cell phone”. Did you know that the average American spends 400 hours a year in the car. That is a lot of time to be dumping trash into your mind. What are you feeding yourself? Affirmation: I will not let depressing/low vibrational songs pollute my mind.
- The News/Newspaper: Are you someone who stays up late to watch the news or must be “in the know” about what is happening in the world around you. Most of the time, the news will highlight all that is wrong in our society. The stabbings, the killings, the accidents, the deaths, the robbing, destruction etc. This promotes emotions of fear, anxiety and worry. This is what you are feeding yourself when you watch the news. Some people will argue that it is good to know what is happening so you are aware and can be on the watch and protect those around you. For some instances yes, but 90% of the time, focusing on the negative and being in a state of fear doesn’t help anyone. The time before bed is when you should be relaxing and programming positive intentions for the day ahead. If you watch the news and go to sleep in a state of fear and worry, this will stay with you in your subconscious mind owing to feelings of anxiety. Some people will read the paper first thing in the morning, sending the brain messages of fear and worry. Not a great way to start your day is it? How would your life be different if you started your day with some exercise, meditation and positive visualizations? Affirmation: I will not let the news pollute my mind.
- Negative People: If you surround yourself with people who are always complaining, enjoy drama and conflict, I suggest you lessen your time with these people. I don’t know about you, but I work hard to keep my energy levels up and protect my essence. You are who you hang around. So choose your company wisely. If you have friends who are not happy in their marriages and are always complaining…. guess what, sooner or later you will find something to complain about in your own marriage. If you hang around people who do drugs, smoke and have unhealthy behaviours….. guess what, sooner or later you may find yourself doing the same. It is your duty and responsibility to be the best version of yourself. This is my aim so that I may be the best for my husband, children, family and patients. We are put on this earth to fulfill a purpose and to be beings of light who help others. If we allow negative people to bring us down, it will be hard to do just that. Affirmation: I will not let negative people pollute my mind.
DETOX YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS MIND/DETOX YOUR LIFE
So I am asking you to DETOX your mind. Say those affirmations above and try to make the changes I am suggesting below. You may need to start with one. Progress is the aim.
- I am asking you for one week to watch only TV shows that are uplifting and positive…better yet, keep the tube off and engage in conversation with your loved ones or do some physical activity.
- I am asking you to turn your radio off when you drive or put in a relaxing CD or maybe one with positive affirmations.
- I am asking you to ditch the negative people in your life…OK, this may not be possible, but spend less time with them if you can and let them know that you are trying to be more positive.
- If you have children, remove them from their video games and really be aware of what they are experiencing and how it is affecting their minds. Spend time reading, laughing or playing with your children instead. If you yourself play video games, take a break for a while and see how you feel.
- Go on a social media detox! I did this and it feels amazing. At a minimum, unfriend negative, drama filled people on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter and only follow people that are genuine, loving and inspirational, like ME! FB: Dr. Jen Cisternino, ND Instagram: dr_jen_cisternino
- Try not to engage in the negative news! Don’t read the newspaper or listen to the news for one week. You will notice that the things you were concerning yourself with have very little to do with you anyway. At a minimum, don’t listen to the news before bed. Fill your mind with positive thoughts and affirmations like “I am healthy, I am happy, I am loving, I am blessed, I am grateful for all that I have”.
I hope to have shed light on some of the lesser known ways you are polluting your mind which is preventing you from experiencing true love and happiness. Try these tip or newfound way of life and let me know how the experience is for you. Please write to [email protected] or leave a comment below.
Thanks and Be Well 🙂
Dr. Jen Cisternino, Naturopath, Blogger, Speaker
If you would like to receive newsletters to your inbox sign up for my newsletter.